Greetings All Saints Episcopal Church Women
AUGUST 2021 NEWS
Hope all of you are well and staying cool! Thought I’d take the opportunity to stay in touch now that we’re halfway through the summer. Whether you’re in Fort Lauderdale or away, it’s important that we stay connected.
Our last meeting was June 6 by Zoom. Thirteen people were in attendance. Here are the highlights:
First, congratulations and thank you to all on a most successful Be a T.R.U.E. Friend spring outreach project. T.R.U.E. (Toward Relief of Urgent Emergencies) has been a standing fund at our Church for years, is unique to our Parish and is managed by Phyllis Barnes. Thank you, Phyllis! ECW can be especially proud of the success of this effort given the challenges and restrictions of COVID. Because of the generosity of all members of our congregation, we collected $3,302 to supplement the fund. Our Church works with several established and reputable community agencies who vet all individuals’ requests for help with day-to-day living expenses such as a power bill. Assistance to the individuals is managed by the agencies; no money is given directly to the applicants. The need is great during these times; and, we may feel secure in knowing that our contributions will be handled properly and used locally. Thanks to Diane Hess and Sally Handley for putting this all together and to Michael Lee for processing the contributions.
Next, so that we will be in a position to hit the ground running in the fall, three committees were established:
- Nominating Committee (Marge McClain, Jackie Smith and Kerry Ross) will submit a slate or slates of Officers for the next two-year term beginning in December. The positions are President (currently Thana Leary), Recording Secretary (currently Marge McClain), Corresponding Secretary (currently Kathy Friend) and Treasurer (currently Diane Hess). If you are interested in serving or continuing to serve; or, if you know of anyone you think might be interested, please let Marge, Jackie or Kerry know. Their contact information is in the Church Directory*; or, you may email email@example.com.
- Showcase Committee (Marge McClain, Sally Handley and Yvonne Meyerson) will be in charge of revamping our Showcase including (a) inventory, (b) design, (c) logistics, (d) advertising, and (e) finances.
- Committee to develop “Inspiration in Place” theme for coming year (Sally Handley, Diane Hess, Angelyn Latta, Jackie Smith and Mother Leslie.) What is important to all members of the parish and would bring us closer together in our post-pandemic worship space? How might our ECW align itself with the National ECW theme, “Women in Action?”
Next, ladies, let us have your ideas for the coming year. How may we serve? What are our interests? What are our needs? What would be just plain fun? Let’s be ready to begin discussions at our next meeting in September. Some thoughts we’ve received thus far include:
- Resume the ECW annual luncheon (pandemics permitting). We had about 70 people in attendance at the last one, and everyone enjoys this event;
- Implement a plan to follow up and connect with people who are new to our Church – special invitations, personal communications, wine-and-cheese gatherings;
- Stay connected with each other, seek to identify and be sensitive to individual needs and provide support;
- Sponsor a Taize service at the beginning of Advent;
- Sponsor creation of a labyrinth – either permanent as part of a landscaping plan or a temporary one in Neaverson.
I had hoped to get us all together for lunch this month at Bahama Breeze; but, considering the craziness caused by the Delta variant (this, too, shall pass), I think it best to place that idea in the wait-and-see column. I hope it won’t be too long because I know we’re all ready for some in-person socialization.
All comments, suggestions, corrections and ideas are welcomed. You may direct them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call or text me at 954/270-7795. My contact information, too, is in the Church Directory. If you know of anyone who may not get email, let me know and I will put this newsletter in the mail to them.
Blessings to all,
Thana Leary, President, ASEC ECW
*If you don’t have a Church Directory, I would be happy to forward my digital copy to you. Or, you may get a hard copy from the Church Office.